Adi Shankaracharya has written a song ”Devi Suresvari Bhagavati Gange” and the Official Name for this song is ”Sri Sri Ganga Stotram". In this song Sree Shankaracharya describes the glories of Sri Ganga. Goddess Ganga is a divine river from heaven, she has emancipated everyone who has faithfully prayed to her. She is known as Vishnu-padabja-sambhuta which means that she has emerged from the Lotus feet of Shri Vishnu. Whoever listens to Ganga Strotam can fulfill their desires and free themselves from sins they have committed.
devi suresvari bhagavati gange
tribhuvana-tarini tarala tarange
mama matir astam tava pada-kamale
bhagirathi sukha-dayini matas
tava jala-mahima nigame khyatah
naham jane tava mahimanam
pahi krpamayi mam ajnanam
durikuru mama duskrti-bharam
kuru krpaya bhava-sagara-param
tava jalam amalam yena nipitam
parama-padam khalu tena grhitam
matar gange tvayi yo bhaktah
kila tam drastum na yamah saktah
patitoddharini jahnavi gange
bhisma janani he muni-vara-kanye
kalpa-latam iva phaladam loke
pranamati yas tvam na patati soke
tava cen matah srotah-snatah
punar api jathare so’pi na jatah
naraka-nivarini jahnavi gange
punar asad-ange punya-tarange
jaya jaya jahnavi karunapange
sukhade subhade bhrtya-saranye
rogam sokam tapam papam
hara me bhagavati kumati-kalapam
tvam asi gatir mama khalu samsare
kuru karunamayi katara-vandye
tava tata-nikate yasya nivasah
khalu vaikunthe tasya nivasah
varam iha nire kamatho minah
kim va tire saratah ksinah
athava svapaco malino dinah
tava na hi dure nrpatih kulinah
bho bhuvanesvari punye dhanye
devi dravamayi muni-vara-kanye
ganga-stavam imam amalam nityam
pathati naro yah sa jayati satyam
yesam hrdaye ganga bhaktis
tesam bhavati sada sukha-muktih
ganga-stotram idam bhava-saram
vashchitaphaladam vimalam saram
pathati ca vinayidam iti samaptam
(1) O Goddess Ganga! You are the divine river from heaven, you are the saviour of all the three worlds, you are pure and restless, you adorn Lord Shiva’s head. O Mother! may my mind always rest at your lotus feet.
(2) O Mother Bhagirathi! You give happiness to everyone. The significance of your holy waters is sung in the Vedas. I am ignorant and am not capable to comprehend your importance. O Devi! you are full of mercy. Please protect me.
(3) O Devi! Your waters are as sacred as “Charanamriti” of Sri Hari. Your waves are white like snow, moon and pearls. Please wash away all my sins and help me cross this ocean of Samsara.
(4) O Mother! those who partake of your pure waters, definitely attain the highest state. O Mother Ganga! Yama, the Lord of death cannot harm your devotees.
(5) O Jahnavi! your waters flowing through the Himalayas make you even more beautiful. You are Bhishma’s mother and sage Jahnu’s daughter. You are saviour of the people fallen from their path, and so you are revered in all three worlds.
(6) O Mother! You fulfill all the desires of the ones devoted to you. Those who bow down to you do not have to grieve. O Ganga! You are restless to merge with the ocean, just like a young lady anxious to meet her beloved.
(7) O Mother! those who bathe in your waters do not have to take birth again. O Jahnavi! You are held in the highest esteem. You destroy your devotee’s sins and save them from hell.
(8) O Jahnavi! You are full of compassion. You purify your devotees with your holy waters. Your feet are adorned with the gems of Indra’s crown. Those who seek refuge in you are blessed with happiness.
(9) O Bhagavati! Take away my diseases, sorrows, difficulties, sins and wrong attitudes. You are the essence of the three worlds and you are like a necklace around the Earth. O Devi! You alone are my refuge in this Samsara.
(10) O Ganga! those who seek happiness worship you. You are the source of happiness for Alkapuri and source of eternal bliss. Those who reside on your banks are as privileged as those living in Vaikunta.
(11) O Devi ! It is better to live in your waters as turtle or fish, or live on your banks as poor “candal” rather than to live away from you as a wealthy king.
(12) O Godess of Universe! You purify us. O daughter of muni Jahnu! one who recites this Ganga Stotram everyday, definitely achieves success.
(13) Those who have devotion for Mother Ganga, always get happiness and they attain liberation. This beautiful and lyrical Gangastuti is a source of Supreme bliss.
(14) This Ganga Stotram, written by Sri Adi Shankaracharya, devotee of Lord Shiva, purifies us and fulfills all our desires