Bhaktivinod Thakur has written this song “Keno Hare Krishna Nam“. Bhaktivinoda Thakura says that why are we being such difficult living beings. We have got this human body we should take the opportunity to chant the name Lord Krishna. Why don’t we understand the essence of this powerful mantra? Once we die we will enter the funeral pyre and then there is no existence of this body. Just imagine the beauty of Goloka Vrindavan Dham its so transcendental and we can personally serve Hari Govinda.
pakhi na jani kon aparadhe
mukhe hare krsna nam bolo na
baner pakhi re dhare raklam hrdoy mandire
madhu makha ei hari nam
pakhi re sikhaile sikhe
pakhi sakal nam bolte paro
keno hare krsna nam bolo na
keno hare krsna nam hari bole mano pran kande na
chalo pakhi ruper dese jai
je desete maner manus asa jaoya nai
pakhi re tor marana kalete
carabi vaser dolate
ore car janete kandhe kore
loye jabe smasan ghaJete
ore o tor mukhe aguna jihve tule
ki korobi tai bolo na
Refrain: Oh, why does my heart not weep from chanting the holy names Hare Krsna?
1) The bird of my heart does not know what past sinful activities it has committed to cause this inability to chant Hare Krsna properly.
2) O forest bird! I have kept something for you very carefully within the cottage of my heart – the holy name of Hari, which is overflowing with puresweet honey. O bird, you could learn the chanting of this name if you were taught.
3) A bird is easily able to speak all names; why then does this bird of my heart refuse to chant Hare Krsna? Oh, why does my heart not weep from chanting the holy names Hare Krsna?
4) O bird! Come, let us go to the spiritual world, the land of true and everlasting beauty. It is the place where the imaginary man of my mind will never again come and go on the revolving cycle of birth and death.
5) O bird! At the time of death, your body will simply be placed upon a funeral stretcher, lifted on the shoulders of four persons and carried to the cremation grounds.
6) Alas! The cremation fire will enter your mouth and then totally consume your tongue. There will be nothing you can do to save yourself, for at that time it is too late – you will be unable to speak anymore.