has written a song ”Devi Suresvari Bhagavati Gange”
and the Official Name for this song is ”Sri Sri Ganga Stotram”
. In this song Sree Shankaracharya
describes the glories of Sri Ganga
. Goddess Ganga
is a divine river from heaven, she has emancipated everyone who has faithfully prayed to her. She is known as Vishnu-padabja-sambhuta
which means that she has emerged from the Lotus feet of Shri Vishnu
. Whoever listens to Ganga Strotam can fulfill their desires and free themselves from sins they have committed.
devi sureśvari bhagavati gańge
tribhuvana-tāriṇi tarala tarańge
mama matir āstāḿ tava pada-kamale
bhāgirathi sukha-dāyini mātas
tava jala-mahimā nigame khyātaḥ
nāhaḿ jāne tava mahimānaḿ
pāhi kṛpāmayi mām ajnānam
dūrīkuru mama duṣkṛti-bhāraḿ
kuru kṛpayā bhava-sāgara-pāram
tava jalam amalaḿ yena nipītaḿ
parama-padaḿ khalu tena gṛhītam
mātar gańge tvayi yo bhaktaḥ
kila taḿ draṣṭuḿ na yamaḥ śaktaḥ
patitoddhāriṇi jāhnavi gańge
bhīṣma janani he muni-vara-kanye
kalpa-latām iva phaladām loke
praṇamati yas tvāḿ na patati śoke
tava cen mātaḥ srotaḥ-snātaḥ
punar api jaṭhare so’pi na jātaḥ
naraka-nivāriṇi jāhnavi gańge
punar asad-ańge puṇya-tarańge
jaya jaya jāhnavi karuṇāpāńge
sukhade śubhade bhṛtya-śaraṇye
rogaḿ śokaḿ tāpaḿ pāpaḿ
hara me bhagavati kumati-kalāpam
tvam asi gatir mama khalu saḿsāre
kuru karuṇāmayi kātara-vandye
tava taṭa-nikaṭe yasya nivāsaḥ
khalu vaikuṇṭhe tasya nivāsaḥ
varam iha nīre kamaṭho mīnaḥ
kiḿ vā tīre śaraṭaḥ kṣīṇaḥ
athavā śvapaco malino dīnaḥ
tava na hi dūre nṛpatiḥ kulīnaḥ
bho bhuvaneśvari puṇye dhanye
devi dravamayi muni-vara-kanye
gańgā-stavam imam amalaḿ nityaḿ
paṭhati naro yaḥ sa jayati satyam
yeṣāḿ hṛdaye gańgā bhaktis
teṣāḿ bhavati sadā sukha-muktiḥ
gańgā-stotram idaḿ bhava-sāraḿ
vāñchitaphaladam vimalaḿ sāram
paṭhati ca vinayīdam iti samāptam
(1) O Goddess Ganga! You are the divine river from heaven, you are the saviour of all the three worlds, you are pure and restless, you adorn Lord Shiva’s head. O Mother! may my mind always rest at your lotus feet.
(2) O Mother Bhagirathi! You give happiness to everyone. The significance of your holy waters is sung in the Vedas. I am ignorant and am not capable to comprehend your importance. O Devi! you are full of mercy. Please protect me.
(3) O Devi! Your waters are as sacred as “Charanamriti” of Sri Hari. Your waves are white like snow, moon and pearls. Please wash away all my sins and help me cross this ocean of Samsara.
(4) O Mother! those who partake of your pure waters, definitely attain the highest state. O Mother Ganga! Yama, the Lord of death cannot harm your devotees.
(5) O Jahnavi! your waters flowing through the Himalayas make you even more beautiful. You are Bhishma’s mother and sage Jahnu’s daughter. You are saviour of the people fallen from their path, and so you are revered in all three worlds.
(6) O Mother! You fulfill all the desires of the ones devoted to you. Those who bow down to you do not have to grieve. O Ganga! You are restless to merge with the ocean, just like a young lady anxious to meet her beloved.
(7) O Mother! those who bathe in your waters do not have to take birth again. O Jahnavi! You are held in the highest esteem. You destroy your devotee’s sins and save them from hell.
(8) O Jahnavi! You are full of compassion. You purify your devotees with your holy waters. Your feet are adorned with the gems of Indra’s crown. Those who seek refuge in you are blessed with happiness.
(9) O Bhagavati! Take away my diseases, sorrows, difficulties, sins and wrong attitudes. You are the essence of the three worlds and you are like a necklace around the Earth. O Devi! You alone are my refuge in this Samsara.
(10) O Ganga! those who seek happiness worship you. You are the source of happiness for Alkapuri and source of eternal bliss. Those who reside on your banks are as privileged as those living in Vaikunta.
(11) O Devi ! It is better to live in your waters as turtle or fish, or live on your banks as poor “candal” rather than to live away from you as a wealthy king.
(12) O Godess of Universe! You purify us. O daughter of muni Jahnu! one who recites this Ganga Stotram everyday, definitely achieves success.
(13) Those who have devotion for Mother Ganga, always get happiness and they attain liberation. This beautiful and lyrical Gangastuti is a source of Supreme bliss.
(14) This Ganga Stotram, written by Sri Adi Shankaracharya, devotee of Lord Shiva, purifies us and fulfills all our desires
Devi Suresvari Bhagavati Gange – Sung by HG Jai Sachinanadana Prabhu
Devi Suresvari Bhagavati Gange – Watch Videos