has written a song “Baul Baul Bolche Sabe”.
The official Name for this song is “Baul Sangit Song 4”
. This song is taken from the book Baul Sangit
. Bhaktivinod Thakur
says that just because you have dressed up as a devotee doesn’t mean you are Baul. To be a perfect Baul you need to give up all material desires and get attracted in chanting the Hare Krishna Mantra
and be a follower of Nityananda
`bāul bāul’ bolche sabe, hocche bāul kon janā
dāḍi-cūḍā dekhiye (o bhāi) korche jīvake vañcanā
tā’te ki chāḍāy māyār gartta,
cidānanda paramārtha, jānte to tāy pārbe nā
jadi bāul cāo re ho’te, tabe calo dharma-pathe,
yoṣit-sańga sarva-mate chāḍo re maner vāsanā
veśa-bhūṣā-rańga jata, chāḍi’ nāme hao re rata,
nitāi-cāńder anugata, hao chāḍi’ sab durvāsanā
mukhe `hare kṛṣṇa’ bolo, chāḍo re bhāi kathār chala,
nām vinā to’ su-sambala, cāńda-bāul ār dekhe nā
(1) Everyone keeps using the word “Baul, Baul” as a cheap label, but who has actually become a Baul (a pure devotee gone mad in genuine ecstatic love of God)? By merely exhibiting a long beard and a topknot upon your head, O brothers, you thus cheat many people.
(2) Your philosophy of deha-tattvadeha-tattva that the material body is supposedly divine is simply a philosophy of dull matter (jada-tattva). By maintaining such a doctrine is it possible to become freed from the womb of Maya? The supreme goal of life is the attainment of eternally conscious bliss (chidananda) although you understand this well you will still be unable to enter transcendence.
(3) O! If you really want to become a genuine Baul (a transcendental madman), then please proceed on the path of religiosity. O! Just abandon in all ways the mind’s craving for the inappropriate company of women.
(4) O! Abandoning the performance of adorning yourself with dramatic clothing and ornaments in imitation of Lord Krishna, may you become attached to chanting His pure holy names.May you become the loyal follower of Nitai Chanda, thereby renouncing all evil obsessions.
(5) O my dear brothers! Completely giving up your clever manipulative speech, just fill your mouths with the chanting of “Hare Krishna!” Chand Baul sees no means of support other than the abundant resource of the Lord’s holy name.