Bhaktivinoda Thakur has written a song “Baul Baul Bolche Sabe”. The official Name for this song is “Baul Sangit Song 4”. This song is taken from the book Baul Sangit. Bhaktivinod Thakur says that just because you have dressed up as a devotee doesn’t mean you are Baul. To be a perfect Baul you need to give up all material desires and get attracted in chanting the Hare Krishna Mantra and be a follower of Nityananda.
`baul baul’ bolche sabe, hocche baul kon jana
dadi-cuda dekhiye (o bhai) korche jivake vancana
ta’te ki chaday mayar gartta,
cidananda paramartha, jante to tay parbe na
jadi baul cao re ho’te, tabe calo dharma-pathe,
yosit-sanga sarva-mate chado re maner vasana
vesa-bhusa-ranga jata, chadi’ name hao re rata,
nitai-cander anugata, hao chadi’ sab durvasana
mukhe `hare krsna’ bolo, chado re bhai kathar chala,
nam vina to’ su-sambala, canda-baul ar dekhe na
(1) Everyone keeps using the word "Baul, Baul" as a cheap label, but who has actually become a Baul (a pure devotee gone mad in genuine ecstatic love of God)? By merely exhibiting a long beard and a topknot upon your head, O brothers, you thus cheat many people.
(2) Your philosophy of deha-tattvadeha-tattva that the material body is supposedly divine is simply a philosophy of dull matter (jada-tattva). By maintaining such a doctrine is it possible to become freed from the womb of Maya? The supreme goal of life is the attainment of eternally conscious bliss (chidananda) although you understand this well you will still be unable to enter transcendence.
(3) O! If you really want to become a genuine Baul (a transcendental madman), then please proceed on the path of religiosity. O! Just abandon in all ways the mind's craving for the inappropriate company of women.
(4) O! Abandoning the performance of adorning yourself with dramatic clothing and ornaments in imitation of Lord Krishna, may you become attached to chanting His pure holy names.May you become the loyal follower of Nitai Chanda, thereby renouncing all evil obsessions.
(5) O my dear brothers! Completely giving up your clever manipulative speech, just fill your mouths with the chanting of "Hare Krishna!" Chand Baul sees no means of support other than the abundant resource of the Lord's holy name.