Bhaktivinod Thakur has written this song “Gaite Gaite Nama Ki Dasa”. The Official Name for this song is Sri Siksastaka Song 7. This song is taken from the book Gitavali. Bhaktivinoda Thakura says that chanting the Hare Krishna Mahamantra has lot of power. We realize that this worldly affairs are just waste of time. We feel attached towards Gopal and the slightest separation strikes us like a thunderbolt.
gaite gaite nama ki dasa hoilo
`krsna-nitya-dasa mui’ hrdoye sphurilo
janilam maya-pase e jada-jagate
govinda-virahe duhkha pai nana-mate
ar je samsara mor nahi lage bhalo
kaha jai’ krsna heri e cinta visalo
kandite kandite mor ankhi-varisoy
varsa-dhara heno cakse hoilo udoy
nimese hoilo mora sata-yuga-sam
govinda-viraha ar sahite aksam
sunya dhara-tala, caudike dekhiye,
parana udasa hoy
ki kori, ki kori, sthira nahi hoy,
jivana nahiko roy
braja-basi-gan, mora prana rakho,
bhakativinoda, minati maniya,
laohe tahare sathe
sri-krsna-viraha ar sahite na pari
paran chadite ar din dui cari
(1) What was my condition after repeatedly chanting the holy name? The realization that "I am the eternal servant of Krsna" spontaneously became manifest within my heart.
(2) I realized that I was ensnared in the noose of maya's illusion, being trapped within this dull mundane universe, and that I simply experience misery in various ways due to separation from Lord Govinda.
(3) Furthermore, I realized that I do not like this worldly existence. "Where can I go to see Krsna?"-this was my great anxiety.
(4) Crying and crying, tears poured from my eyes, appearing just like torrents of rain in the monsoon season.
(5) Unable to bear separation from Lord Govinda any longer, for me the passing of a moment became like a hundred long ages.
(6) As I look about in all directions, the surface of the earth appears to be void, and my very life-breath feels empty. What am I doing? What am I doing? I do not feel at all tranquil, and the life within my body is slipping away.
(7) O residents of Vraja-dhama! Please save my life and show me the Lord of Sri Radha! O consider the prayers of this Bhaktivinoda and take him into His company!
(8) I am unable to further tolerate this separation from my Lord Sri Krsna and am ready to give up my life in two days or four.