Bhaktivinoda Thakur has written a song “ Ghare Bose Baul Hao”. The Official Name of this song is “Baul Sangit Song 9”. This song is taken from the book Baul Sangit. Bhaktivinod Thakur says that if we give up association of improper people then we will understand the meaning of chanting Hare Krishna mantra. Simply by renouncing your family life where your heart and mind is corrupted with material pleasures will do you no good. You will fall down further more in material world. Hence Bhaktivinoda Thakura advice’s us to control our senses and perform Krishna sankirtan and renounce from this material world.
ghare bose’ baul hao re mana,
keno korbi dusta acarana
mane mane rakhbi baul-bhava,
sanga chadi’ dharma-bhave korbi visaya labha
jivana japana korbi, hari-namanande sarva-ksana
jata-dina hrdoy-sodhana noy,
ghara chadle pare markata-vairagi’ ta’re koy
hrdoy-dose ripur bose, pade pade ta’r patana
encade-paka vairagi je hoy,
parer nari lo’ye paler goda ho’ye roy
(abar) artha-lobhe dvare dvare kore nicer aradhana
ghare bose’ pakao nijer mana,
ar sakala-dina koro harir nam-sankirtana
tabe cand bauler sange sese korbi samsara visarjana
(1) O my dear mind! May you become a transcendentally maddened Baul while remaining at home. Why do you engage in wicked activities?
(2) You may keep the mood of a Baul within your mind, and giving up improper association you will automatically obtain sense pleasures in accordance with religious principles. Thus you will pass your life while every moment experiencing the bliss of Hari-nama.
(3) One who renounces his home while his heart is not yet purified is called a markata-vairagi ("monkey-like renunciant"). By the heart being full of offenses, acting under the control of the enemy, one sinks lower and lower at every step.
(4) A renunciant immature in renunciation is one who swindles the wives of others and thus remains just like a fat monkey in charge of a harem of female monkeys.
Furthermore, such a person goes from door to door out of greed to receive monetary donations. Thus he engages in the so-called worship of even fallen and degraded souls.
(5) May your own mind become ripened with maturity while remaining at home. And just perform Hari-nama sankirtan each and every day. Then, in Chand Baul's company, you shall utterly renounce the material world.