Bhaktivinod Thakur has written this song “Gaite Gaite Nama Ki Dasa”. The Official Name for this song is Sri Siksastaka Song 7. This song is taken from the book Gitavali. Bhaktivinoda Thakura says that chanting the Hare Krishna Mahamantra has lot of power. We realize that this worldly affairs are just waste of time. We feel attached towards Gopal and the slightest separation strikes us like a thunderbolt.
gāite gāite nāma ki daśā hoilo
`kṛṣṇa-nitya-dāsa mui’ hṛdoye sphurilo
jānilām māyā-pāśe e jaḍa-jagate
govinda-virahe duḥkha pāi nānā-mate
ār je saḿsāra mor nāhi lāge bhālo
kāhā jāi’ kṛṣṇa heri—e cintā viśālo
kāńdite kāńdite mor āńkhi-variśoy
varṣā-dhārā heno cakṣe hoilo udoy
nimeṣe hoilo mora śata-yuga-sam
govinda-viraha ār sahite akṣam
śūnya dharā-tala, caudike dekhiye,
parāna udāsa hoy
ki kori, ki kori, sthira nāhi hoy,
jīvana nāhiko roy
braja-bāsī-gaṇ, mora prāna rākho,
bhakativinoda, minati māniyā,
laohe tāhāre sāthe
śrī-kṛṣṇa-viraha ār sahite nā pāri
parān chāḍite ār din dui cāri
(1) What was my condition after repeatedly chanting the holy name? The realization that “I am the eternal servant of Krsna” spontaneously became manifest within my heart.
(2) I realized that I was ensnared in the noose of maya’s illusion, being trapped within this dull mundane universe, and that I simply experience misery in various ways due to separation from Lord Govinda.
(3) Furthermore, I realized that I do not like this worldly existence. “Where can I go to see Krsna?”-this was my great anxiety.
(4) Crying and crying, tears poured from my eyes, appearing just like torrents of rain in the monsoon season.
(5) Unable to bear separation from Lord Govinda any longer, for me the passing of a moment became like a hundred long ages.
(6) As I look about in all directions, the surface of the earth appears to be void, and my very life-breath feels empty. What am I doing? What am I doing? I do not feel at all tranquil, and the life within my body is slipping away.
(7) O residents of Vraja-dhama! Please save my life and show me the Lord of Sri Radha! O consider the prayers of this Bhaktivinoda and take him into His company!
(8) I am unable to further tolerate this separation from my Lord Sri Krsna and am ready to give up my life in two days or four.