Bhaktivinod Thakur has written this song “Durlabha Manava Janma”. The official name for this song is “Nirvedana Laksana Upalabdhi Song 4. This song is taken from the book Kalyana Kalpataru. Bhaktivinoda Thakura says that people in material world are 24/7 engaging in material activities. Eating, sleeping ,etc is their main motive. We don’t realize that time is the key factor and death is hoovering on us. When we die our body is useless and animals and worms feast on our lifeless body. People who are smart will take a wise decision and will stop indulging in material affairs and will take the shelter of Sri Krishna Caitanya. He is is the God of this universe and He is the protector of everyone.
durlabha manava-janma labhiya samsare
krsna na bhajinu-duhkha kahibo kahare?
‘samsar’ ‘samsar’, ko’re miche gelo kal
labha na koilo kichu, ghatilo jashjal
kiser samsar ei chayabaji pray
ihate mamata kori’ brtha dina jay
e deho patana ho’le ki ro’be amar?
keho sukha nahi dibe putra-parivar
gardabher mata ami kori parisram
ka’r lagi’ eto kori, na ghucilo bhram
dina jay micha kaje, nisa nidra-base
nahi bhavi-marana nikate ache bo’se
bhalo manda khai, heri, pari, cinta-hina
nahi bhavi, e deho chadibo kon dina
jagiche hrdoye mor buddhi kori’ hata
hay, hay! nahi bhavi-anitya e saba
jivana vigate kotha rohibe vaibhava?
smasane sarir mama podiya rohibe
bihanga-patanga tay bihar koribe
kukkur srgal sab anandita ho’ye
mahotsava koribe amar deho lo’ye
je deher ei gati, ta’r anugata
samsar-vaibhava ar bandhu-jana jata
ataeva maya-moha chadi’ buddhiman
nitya-tattva krsna-bhakti koruna sandhan
(1) The human form of life is the rarest opportunity for attaining spiritual perfection. But now I am lamenting, because I've somehow or other been born with such an opportunity, and I wasted it by never worshiping Lord Krsna. Oh, to whom shall I tell the tale of this misery?
(2) Having married and entered into the entanglements of materialistic family life, I passed my time in vain. I never got any tangible gain or permanent benefit, only trouble and botheration.
(3) What kind of world is this anyway? It seems to be just like a magic lantern show that I saw at a carnival, wherein so many shadows and optical illusions dance magically before my eyes. I feel reat attachment and identification with such a world, and thus day after day pass by fruitlessly, without any purpose whatsoever.
(4) When this body drops dead on the ground then what will remain mine? At that moment, all of my sons and dearest loved ones will not be able to give me any happiness.
(5) I work hard just like an ass everyday and now I am wondering for whom am I working so hard? I am still surrounded by so many illusions.
(6) I waste every day in useless, insignificant work, and I waste every night controlled by sleep. And in every 24 hours I never for one second consider that cruel death is sitting very close by my side.
(7) I live a very carefree life-style, sometimes eating a lot, or eating a little if I feel like it, sometimes I see nice things around the town, or sometimes I do not go out at all, sometimes I wear opulent clothing, or if I'm in the mood, I'll wear something simple. I live so carefree that I never consider that one day I will have to give up this body.
(8) My poor heart is plagued by constant anxieties about the maintenance and daily turmoil created by my body, my house, my wife, my family members and my social obligations. All these anxieties are pinching me and destroying all my intelligence.
(9) Alas, alas! What a remorseful situation has arisen! I am absorbed in all this trouble, but I never consider that all these things are temporary and subject to perish very soon. After I'm dead and gone, where will all of my material opulences remain?
(10) When my body will be thrown in the pit at the cremation grounds, it will simply lie there motionlessly. Then many crows, vultures, ants, and worms will come and playfully sport there.
(11) All the stray dogs and jackals will then become very much delighted, and in great ecstasy they will make a festival ground out of my body and will have a huge celebration and feast.
(12) Just see, this is the ultimate destination of this material body. And the most amazing thing is that all of my material opulences, house, family and friends have exactly the same destination.
(13) Therefore I ask of anyone who has any sharp intelligence: please give up all of these temporary illusions presented by maya, and kindly search after the means to get pure devotion to Lord Krsna, for this is the only really tangible eternal truth.